Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day (Or ANTI-Mother's Day that is...)

For most of us, Mother's Day is an awesome day. We're either celebrating our mothers or being celebrated as mothers. This is wonderful & I can't tell you how happy I am for you.

For me this is a mixed bag. I am a mother, but my children don't live with me. They also don't do anything for me on Mother's Day. I'm all right with this. I check up on them often & I know that they are all happy & healthy. It's what I truly want for them. Then there's celebrating MY mom. Hmmmm....that's another can of worms. I have my adoptive mother, her & I don't get along very well. My biological mother & I have met, but again there's a lot going on there too.

So this post is for those that feel disenfranchised by the whole "Mother's Day" concept.

Some of us have bad feelings on this day because we think of all the bad things that happened to us at our mother's hands. Not all mom's are the June Cleavers that we've been shown to be the "ideal" mom. This is sad but true. As much as I would LOVE to have everyone in the world have that wonderful mother that nurtures them, loves them unconditionally, & never hurts them, it isn't ever going to happen. Then there are the mothers that won't ever get the cards, phone calls, brunches, breakfast in bed, or even an acknowledgement of their motherhood status.

Yes, Mother's Day may be an awesome day for many, but not all. Take a moment of your time to remember those that won't be enjoying today. Remember...perception is 9/10ths of the law!

As always, be good to each other...& write like the wind!

#wordmongering

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read this. Thanks. As an adoptee I can relate 100%. I have mixed feelings about Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete